Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

My Duggu

This may sound strange to most of you, but it's true. I was in 8th grade then. Since I lived in a village, we had the privilege of a large compound surrounding our house. Hence we had some pets too - a doggy named Judy and some poultry. I was always curious about the fresh chicken hatched. They had the softness of fur, and it felt like another world while holding them in my palms together.

Once when the eggs were hatched, an egg was left unnoticed by the hen. When the hen left the coop with its little ones, I found that the chicken inside that egg was struggling for life. I was scared, but wanted to save it. I called my mom and she helped me crack the egg and take the chicken out. We then cleaned it with a soft cloth and tried feeding it some buts of grain. It didn't have anything. When the hen was back, my mom put the little chicken along with the other babies. Unfortunately the hen started pecking this chicken fiercely. When the hen pecked it n threw it out of the nest, my mom picked it up and brought it inside our home. I told mom "Amma, we'll take care of it. It'll live here with us." We adopted it and named it Duggu, the nickname of my then favourite actor, Hrithik Roshan.

Duggu was a light yellow colour, very active and vibrant. The first few days it was difficult to manage him as he was reluctant towards our feeds. Then slowly he started having grains and water fed by us. He used to sleep with me on my pillow. Early morning he wakes me up with his chirps and I curse him dearly for rising so soon. Slowly he started responding to his name 'Duggu'. When I reach home after school, I call him n could see him flying to me from nowhere. I used to wonder how its mother could abandon such a pretty thing. I was always careful not to let him go to his mother as it was dangerous. I take him to the compound daily after making sure his mother is out of sight. When I return home, he would follow me inside.

One night as usual I slept with him and woke up without hearing my Duggu's alarm. He was not to be seen anywhere. I removed my blanket, he was not there. I looked at my pillow where he usually sleeps. Slowly I lifted the pillow and found my beloved Duggu lying there still. He was dead. Though not intentional, i was the reason of his death. He might have crawled beneath the pillow for warmth, but I never knew it.....

I still feel like I've lost a baby. It hurts when I think of him. After that there was no one to wait for me at home, no one to come running to me, no one to wake me with that dear noise. Years have passed now. Life has moved on. Still, Duggu remains a pain in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment